“Stronghold” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Libya government says retakes Haftar's last redoubt in west →
Libya's UN-recognised government announced Friday another victory in its counter-offensive against eastern-based strongman Khalifa Haftar, overrunning his last western stronghold Tarhuna, launchpad of an abortive 14-month assault on the capital.
· Trump Hates Vote-by-Mail. These Republicans Love It. →
Mail-in voting works well in Wisconsin, he said, and helps Republicans in rural parts of the state compete with Democratic strongholds that have more resources to dedicate to in-person early voting.
· Libyan government says it entered Haftar stronghold Tarhuna →
Forces loyal to Libya's internationally recognised government said on Friday they entered Tarhuna, the last major stronghold of eastern commander Khalifa Haftar, capping the sudden collapse of his 14-month offensive.
· Morning mail: Lancet retracts Covid-19 paper, Floyd memorial, walking with wombats →
A 14-month siege of Libya’s capital Tripoli by the renegade general Khalifa Haftar has been lifted after Turkish-backed troops aligned with the UN-recognised government forced the rebels to retreat to strongholds in the country’s south and east.
· Bill Barr is building his own personal army. It's time to step up, Joe Biden →
He’s in a virtual dead heat with Trump in longtime Republican stronghold Texas.
· Analysis: Turkey is winning in Libya, but challenges remain →
As a result, the GNA made significant gains against Haftar's forces and captured several strategically important LNA strongholds, including al-Watiya airbase near the Tunisian border and the Tripoli International Airport.
· Pompeo presses nations to fund IS fight despite budget crunch →
Even as the extremists' presence has dwindled in its former stronghold, alarm has grown over the Islamic State group's influence in West Africa and Afghanistan.
· Uphill task for Taliban as COVID-19 spreads in militant bastions →
KUNDUZ: The Taliban boasted of their readiness to fight the deadly coronavirus when it first reached Afghanistan, but now the insurgents are struggling to curb its spread in their strongholds.
· Libya's GNA says it regained full control of the capital, Tripoli →
Separately, a military source in the eastern-based self-styled Libyan National Army (LNA) said it would complete its withdrawal on Thursday from the Tripoli districts of Ain Zara, Abu Salim and Qasr bin Ghashir towards a town near its stronghold of Tarhuna.
· Libya’s GNA says it regains control of capital Tripoli →
Separately, a military source in the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) said it would complete its withdrawal on Thursday from the Tripoli districts of Ain Zara, Abu Salim and Qasr Ben Gashir towards a town near its stronghold of Tarhouna.