“Suspicion” in the news
|arrested on suspicion|
Publications and example sentences
· A Nation Without Law, Order, or Justice →
On Monday, Kroll released a letter complaining that it was the four police officers who had been fired over Floyd's death had been denied “due process.” Floyd, who was being detained on suspicion of forgery, was to blame for his own death, because of his “violent criminal history.” This is a worldview that is consonant with Trumpism, in that it imagines being democratically accountable to those you regard as beneath you as tyranny, and the unquestioned authority to impose your will on those people as freedom.
· Blatter says Swiss have dropped one of his corruption cases →
The Swiss attorney general has thus shelved one of the two parts of the proceedings opened against Blatter in 2015 on “suspicion of unfair management and breach of trust”.
· Man arrested after two people hit by car in London’s Sloane Square →
The force later confirmed a man had been arrested on suspicion of driving offences.
· Burying The Crisis With An 'Iron Mountain' Of Cash - Yield 9% →
The reason being that with so many companies needing to retain cash, there has been an escalation in dividend cuts and therefore a larger suspicion of any company with a large dividend relative to their price.
The Japan Times
· America’s mis-police state →
And the police, in turn, conflate suspicion and hostility with criminality.
· Samsung Group heir seeks opportunity for public review of ongoing probe →
Lee was summoned on May 26 and 29 on suspicions surrounding the 2015 merger of two major affiliates: Samsung C&T Corp. and Cheil Industries Inc.
· Trump's antifa tweet is right-wing catnip — with potentially troubling consequences →
Citing a few exceptional cases of environmentally motivated arson, agents created a culture that viewed environmental groups with suspicion by claiming that a major terrorist threat was emerging from the environmental movement.
· Tiger King: Signature on will of Carole Baskin’s husband was ‘100 per cent’ forged, Sheriff confirms →
But it certainly cast another shadow of suspicion by all means.”
· Son arrested over murder of mother in Aomori home →
Police in Aomori City have arrested a 35-year-old unemployed man on suspicion of killing his 61-year-old mother at their home last week.
The New York Times
· The C.D.C. Waited ‘Its Entire Existence for This Moment.’ What Went Wrong? →
His efforts to seize the spotlight from the public health agency reflected the broader patterns of his erratic presidency: public condemnations on Twitter, a tendency to dismiss findings from scientists, inconsistent policy or decision-making and a suspicion that the “deep state” inside the government is working to force him out of office.