“Tariff” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Australian government asks China for same reduction in trade barriers as US →
China’s decision this month to impose 80% tariffs on barley from Australia – amid tensions over the call for a coronavirus inquiry – coincided with a move to allow imports of the same product from the US.
· Lumber Liquidators (LL) CEO Charles Tyson on Q1 2020 Results - Earnings Call Transcript →
Notably, Charles has been guiding the Company’s navigation of the tariffs and other sourcing challenges.
· TNB: Prorate method ensures users will not be overcharged →
For example, the 1,400kwh bill will be divided into four months and then will multiply the existing tariff block according to the usage shown.
· Costco: Tough Earnings Day Ahead, But Still A Buy →
As a reminder, Costco has been having a hard time finding margin support lately due to a combination of factors: tariffs and higher wages, alongside revenue mix towards digital.
The New York Times
· As the U.S. Lashes Out at China, Beijing Hardens Its Resolve →
Trump administration officials argue that they have brought China to the table on trade by imposing tariffs.
· Update On REMX- The Rare Earth Metals ETF →
The agreement created optimism that the tit-for-tat period of tariffs and retaliatory measures between the Chinese and US was over.
· Where Have America’s Pro-Business China Watchers Gone? →
As Joe Renourd put it in the National Interest, “Alongside long-standing American business concerns such as IP theft and currency manipulation, many now fear losing global market share to new Chinese ventures.” Trump-era tariffs have escalated these concerns for some, and the COVID-19 pandemic may be the last straw for U.S. companies that realized their dependence on China for medical supplies during the pandemic.
· Nissan spares Sunderland plant from job cuts as Barcelona factory to close with loss of 2,800 staff →
The factory - considered to be among the most advanced car production lines in Europe - has been at the centre of a row over Brexit since former Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn warned back in 2016 that its future could not be guaranteed because of tariffs that might be imposed.
· China Escalates the Pandemic Propaganda War →
China then started restricting some Australian meat imports, imposed tariffs on barley, and, according to Bloomberg, is considering targeting wine and dairy.
· Dollar Tree higher on FQ1 earnings topper →
Gross margin rate down 120 bps to 28.5%, driven by merchandise mix, incremental tariffs of $23M, markdowns related to Easter merchandise, and higher distribution center payroll costs.