“Tear” in the news
|used tear gas|
|wear and tear|
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
· Head of Cecil Rhodes gouged off Cape Town monument →
Last month students at Britain's Oxford University called for a Rhodes statue to be removed, triggered in part by protesters in the port city of Bristol tearing down a statue of 17th century slave trader Edward Colston and throwing it into the harbour.
The New York Times
· Trump’s Falsehoods on Police Shootings, Biden, Coronavirus and China →
The Biden-Sanders unity task forces recommended halting the use of Pentagon funds to build Mr. Trump’s border wall, but did not say to tear down existing portions.
· Ranking the Packers (No. 42): Will Redmond →
Redmond entered the 2015 season at Mississippi State as one of the better cornerback prospects in the nation but his hopes of being a first-round pick were dashed after suffering an ACL tear at practice.
· The new Hong Kong, where activists vow to defy 'rule by fear' →
Colourful pro-democracy messages on “Lennon walls” across Hong Kong have mostly been torn down after police warnings, but have been replaced in many places by blank notes.
· Abbie Chatfield is the best thing about Bachelor in Paradise. Don't make her the villain →
· White Sox prospect Burger to play in local St. Louis league →
It’s a chance for the third baseman to get back on the field after he tore his left Achilles tendon twice, sidelining him for each of the previous two seasons.
· As the U.S. and China spar on the world stage, Cold War 2.0 may already have begun →
But Scharre notes that it comes after China's decision to tear up its agreement with Britain and crack down in Hong Kong; after a border dispute between China and India left dozens of Indian troops dead; and after Chinese attempts to coerce countries into using Huawei, he said.
· Four Iraqis on Searching For Hope 17 Years After the Iraq War →
People she didn’t know gave her water and a mask for tear gas.
The New York Times
· Poland’s Presidential Election Was Close but Voters Remain Far Apart →
President Andrzej Duda won a narrow victory after a bitter, polarizing campaign that tore at the social fabric of the country.
· Devoted son's advice as father dies after emergency operation →
Jonathan offered his advice as he held back tears