“Topple” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· George Floyd protests: How the world is gaping and gloating as massive uprisings spread across US →
Across the Arab world, commentators called protests in America over the killing of George Floyd as an “American Spring”, a reference to the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings that toppled regimes across the Middle East.
The New York Times
· What Is Your Reaction to the Days of Protests That Have Followed the Death of George Floyd? →
On Saturday, demonstrators amassed outside City Hall in San Francisco, shut down highway traffic in Miami and attempted to topple a statue in Philadelphia.
· Ship's master faces court over cargo spill →
The Singapore-flagged ship was en route to Melbourne from China when rough seas caused some 50 shipping containers to topple overboard off the coast of Sydney on Sunday, May 24.
· Is Pakatan prepared to helm again? — Chang Lih Kang →
JUNE 1 — The legitimately-elected Pakatan Harapan (PH) government lasted barely two years before being toppled by rapacious political bandits via the infamous “Sheraton Move”.
The Wall Street Journal
· Venezuela, in Historic Shift, Moves to Scale Back Fuel Subsidy →
The measures, which take effect on Monday, are a gamble for Mr. Maduro as he struggles with a devastating economic crisis and tries to outlast U.S.-led sanctions meant to topple his authoritarian administration.
The China Post
· Israeli police probe false claims in case against PM’s wife →
A lawyer for the prime minister, Yossi Cohen, accused Attorney General Avichai Mandelblit of “manipulating the Israeli police for an obsessive and systematic chase after the Netanyahu family in an attempt to topple the prime minister of Israel.”
· George Floyd protesters target confederate monuments in numerous cities →
A nearly two-year battle was waged over the fate of the “Silent Sam” statue after it was toppled by protesters at the University of North Carolina's flagship Chapel Hill campus in 2018.
· Katarina Johnson-Thompson can become a British great, says Daley Thompson →
Johnson-Thompson toppled Thiam for the first time in Doha last October in what was expected to be a dress rehearsal for a showdown in Japan this year.
The China Post
· Protesters in some cities target Confederate monuments →
A nearly two-year battle was waged over the fate of the “Silent Sam” statue after it was toppled by protesters at the University of North Carolina’s flagship Chapel Hill campus in 2018.