“Trigger” in the news
|pull the trigger|
Publications and example sentences
· From Eric Garner to George Floyd: Protests reveal how little has changed in 6 years →
Those emotions have exploded once again, this time at a level not seen in decades, triggered by a disturbingly familiar event: the death of a black man suspected of a petty crime choked by a white police officer in Minneapolis, captured on video as he cried out, “I can’t breathe.”
· Gold rush: Virus has sparked round-the-clock race to fill vaults →
Gold flooded into the US in recent months as traders rushed to profit from an arbitrage caused by dislocations in the market triggered by the pandemic.
· Trump says US will designate Antifa 'terrorist organisation' →
The finger-pointing on both sides of the political spectrum is likely to deepen the political divide in the US, allowing politicians to advance the theory that aligns with their political view and distract from the underlying frustrations that triggered the protests.
The New York Times
· Hurricane Season Collides With the Coronavirus →
While hurricane season doesn’t officially start until June 1, last week tropical storm Bertha brought more than a foot of rain in three days to Miami, triggering widespread street flooding.
· Thousands rally in London, Berlin over George Floyd death →
Floyd's death after his arrest in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Monday has triggered a tide of protests in the US.
· Aubrey Menarndt on Mongolia’s Dynamic Youth →
Thirty years ago, a youth-led revolution upended Mongolia’s Soviet government and triggered a momentous transition toward multiparty democracy.
· Coronavirus latest: at a glance →
Many of the protesters in Milan, one of the cities worst hit during Italy’s outbreak, were not wearing masks and flouted distancing rules, triggering calls for them to be charged.
· Global report: fears of coronavirus surge from US protests as world cases hit 6m →
In the US, the country with the world’s highest coronavirus death toll, local state and city officials warned that the public gatherings in the countrywide protests sparked by the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis risked triggering even more infections, with some testing centres being closed because of the protests.
· Hundreds of protesters rally in London, Berlin over death of George Floyd →
The death of George Floyd after his arrest on Monday has triggered a tide of protests in the United States, unleashing long-simmering rage over racial bias in the US criminal justice system.
· Hundreds of protesters rally in London, Berlin over US death →
The death of George Floyd after his arrest on Monday has triggered a tide of protests in the United States, unleashing long simmering rage over racial bias in the US criminal justice system.