“Turkish” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· Libya's GNA says it regained full control of the capital, Tripoli →
The GNA has had Haftar's forces on the run with the help of Turkish airpower that has turned the tide in the conflict.
· Erdogan hosts Libya PM as Turkey looks to lock in gains →
In recent months, Turkish support in the conflict has pushed back Khalifa Haftar’s eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) - backed by the United Arab Emirates, Russia and Egypt - which had been attacking the GNA in Tripoli since April 2019.
· 'Qatar will roll with the punches' with GCC crisis: Analysts →
The blockading states issued a list of 13 demands to be carried out in 10 days, which included downgrading diplomatic ties with Iran, closing a Turkish military base in Qatar, and shutting down Al Jazeera Media Network.
· Show goes on for Turkish drama despite virus rules →
What looks like a corporate video conference is in fact a Turkish television soap opera shot in isolation during the coronavirus pandemic.
Hong Kong Free Press
· Scapegoating Hong Kong’s minorities over Covid-19 is dangerous – here’s how to avoid it →
Similarly, Turkey’s top Muslim cleric Ali Erbas said during his Friday sermon, marking the first day of Ramadan, that same-sex relations were responsible for the pandemic because homosexuality “brings illness.” His argument was supported by the Turkish president, according to Ekathimerini.
· Libya unity govt forces reseize Tripoli airport in blow to Haftar →
Pro-GNA forces, boosted by Turkish drones and air defences, had also taken back a string of coastal towns.
The China Post
· Turkey, Russia cooperate on virus vaccine →
ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey and Russia have agreed to cooperate in the development of a coronavirus vaccine and plan to carry out joint clinical trials, the Turkish health minister said Wednesday.
· Russian air raids target NW Syria for first time in three months →
The SOHR said the latest attacks were intended to push opposition fighters away from the key M4 highway in northern Syria, where Turkish and Russian forces often conduct joint patrols as part of the truce agreement.
· Egypt, UAE welcome resumption of Libya ceasefire talks →
In recent weeks, Turkish support has allowed the GNA to retake several towns in the northwest and a strategic airbase near the Tunisian border.
· Turkish club Trabzonspor given one-year European ban over finances →
Turkish club Trabzonspor have been given a one-season ban from European football after falling foul of the break-even rule known as financial fair play (FFP).