“Violence” in the news
|acts of violence|
|violence against women|
Idioms and phrases →
Publications and example sentences
The China Post
· Legal experts review Black Minnesota teen’s life sentence →
She used it as an example of how — when she was the top prosecutor in Hennepin County — she helped find justice for the African American community outraged by gun violence and the senseless death of 11-year-old Tyesha Edwards, who was also Black.
· The Texas Rangers’ team name must go →
In the early 20th century, Rangers played a key role in some of the worst episodes of racial violence in American history along the Texas-Mexico border.
· Mayor: US Marshals probing protester’s shooting at protest →
The Department of Homeland Security has deployed officers in tactical gear from around the country, and from more than a half-dozen federal law enforcement agencies and departments, to Portland as part of a surge aimed at what a senior official said were people taking advantage of demonstrations over the police killing of Floyd to engage in violence and vandalism.
· AOC suggests NYC crime spike linked to unemployment and parents shoplifting to feed children →
In light of the statistics, NYPD police commissioner Dermot Shea said: “The sharp increase in shootings and violence in New York puts innocent people at risk and tears at the fabric of life in our city”.
· Google bans ads for stalkerware apps—with some exceptions →
According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one in four women and one in ten men have experienced some form of violence, stalking, or abuse from a partner.
· 'Strike for Black Lives' to highlight racism →
“If in fact we are going to take on police violence that kills, then certainly we have to take on economic violence that also kills,” he said.
· Two men to stand trial in France for killing of Jewish woman, 85 →
The revelations outraged France’s Jewish community, which called it the latest in a series of increasingly brazen antisemitic acts, including violence and desecrations of Jewish cemeteries.
· Ivory Coast vice president resigns citing personal reasons →
Ouattara’s party has been in power since post-election violence a decade ago killed some 3,000 people after then-President Laurent Gbagbo refused to acknowledge his defeat in a runoff vote.
· Sudanese forces break up protest camp in Darfur, killing 1 →
Authorities said the violence in the town of Kutum, 120 kilometers (74 miles) northwest of the North Darfur provincial capital of al-Fashir, erupted late Sunday when a government convoy came under attack after a meeting between security officials and the protesters to discuss their demands.
· Nasa scientist tells how he was jailed for three years in Turkey over ‘garbage' terrorism claims →
Violence is never a solution.