“Violence” in the news
|acts of violence|
|violence against women|
Publications and example sentences
· Democrats prepare sweeping police reform bills after George Floyd's death →
But much like efforts to stem gun violence after mass shootings, the political momentum for changes to policing procedures could fade from public view as the protests wane and the memories of those who have died in connection with police interactions dims.
· 'Absolutely devastating': Meghan Markle pays tribute to George Floyd in graduation address →
There was no violence reported by police in the incident.
· America needs to think more about the costs of policing →
“Then those issues within the community become issues the community needs to deal with on their own — and that leads to violence.”
· 'Pose' star is raising money, awareness for trans women in crisis →
Moore said even though they are a “mainstream artist,” they want people to know they are also part of “a community that is terrorized — especially now during the pandemic.” So far this year, at least 12 transgender and gender-nonconforming people have been killed due to violence, according to the Human Rights Campaign, and nearly all of these victims were trans women of color.
· Signal app downloads soar during George Floyd protests →
Twitter, which is currently under attack from Donald Trump following its decision on tweets the company says “glorif[y] violence” has also been downloaded more than Facebook and Instagram, which is rare for the social media site.
· George Floyd protests: Number of US arrests tops 10,000 →
The rest, he said, were for crimes including burglary, looting, assaults on police officers and other violence.
· WP MPs question lack of women in COVID-19 economic task force, role of President in use of reserves →
Ms Lim cited a United Nations report on Apr 9 that said the COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated gender inequality, in terms of increased domestic violence and unemployment.