“Violent” in the news
Publications and example sentences
· U.K. police chiefs 'appalled' by Floyd death, say 'there is always more to do' →
The area has been closed off for several days to everyone apart from local residents and workers to maintain public safety after protests against the police killing of George Floyd turned violent over the weekend, officials said.
· Gun stocks extend gains →
Previously: Violent protests in U.S. send gun stocks higher again (June 2)
· The trope of “outside agitators” at protests, explained →
“Groups of outside radicals and agitators are exploiting the situation to pursue their own separate and violent agenda,” Attorney General Bill Barr said in a statement.
· Trump's brandishing of the Bible plays into a cultural legacy of racism and colonialism →
On Monday, after vowing violent state action against protestors across the US, Donald Trump took time out for a photo opportunity.
· China jibes US on human rights ahead of Tiananmen anniversary →
Last year's Hong Kong protests, which sometimes turned violent, prompted Beijing last month to announce it would impose national security legislation on the former British colony.
Hong Kong Free Press
· Hong Kong National security law: China warns UK over ‘interfering,’ as Chief Exec. Carrie Lam dismisses criticism →
Hong Kong has been rocked by months of huge and often violent pro-democracy protests over the past year.