· What kind of face mask gives the best protection against Covid-19? →
According to an analysis by scientists at University College London, if every person in the UK used one single-use mask each day for a year, an extra 66,000 tonnes of contaminated plastic waste would be created.
· Coronavirus: How to stay safe on a flight →
However, as The Independent’s esteemed travel correspondent, Simon Calder, would point out, driving or getting a taxi carries its own risks: road traffic accidents claim around 1,800 lives in the UK every year.
· Lawyers say transgender inmate was 'set up' after making #MeToo complaint →
Smith alleges that the campaign went so far that guards falsely accused her of serious violations, potentially adding 10 years to her sentence.
· The Supreme Court ruled states can limit Electoral College votes. That's popular rule. →
For those who bemoan the tendency of the Supreme Court to divide 5-4 on significant, hot button issues, this term's faithless elector cases presented a welcome change — especially compared to 20 years ago, when a badly divided court in Bush v. Gore left scars by deciding the 2000 presidential election.
· Facebook meets with social justice leaders over boycott →
While ad revenue - which grew by 26% last year - accounted for almost all of Facebook's $70B of revenue in 2019, the top 100 brands likely represented only about 6% those sales, according to data from Pathmatics.
· Where are the safest places to travel on holiday this summer? →
Schools were closed for the Lunar New Year at the end of January and remained so until mid-May.
· Police search bushland near Yanchep for clues in Radina Djukich cold case →
Police charged a man last year over the presumed death of 14-year-old Radina Djukich.Credit:Nine News Perth
· For better or worse, Bryson DeChambeau is fast becoming the new face of golf →
Nor has he simply followed golf’s answer to a get-ripped-quick scheme: Gary Woodland, last year’s US Open champion, for example, has in fact lost 20lbs in an attempt to improve his performance.
· Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Andy Samberg says filming show in wake of police brutality protests is ‘a challenge’ →
In June, Brooklyn Nine-Nine actor Terry Crews revealed that the sitcom had abandoned four episodes in the wake of the protests, saying: “We’ve had a lot of sombre talks about it and deep conversations and we hope through this we’re going to make something that will be truly groundbreaking this year.
· Paloma Faith denies claims she's raising her daughter gender neutral: 'I was misunderstood' →
“Last year I was trying again and it was strange because once my daughter turned 18 months I suddenly was like, ‘I want another one.